Where the books are… (Stack Guide)
Using MadCat, determine the call number and location of the item you want. Use the information on this page to find your item in the Memorial Library building.
Shelving rooms are on each stacks floor across from the main elevators. If you're looking for an item that was just returned it may be here waiting to be re-shelved.
Other Collections & Materials: Open Stacks
- Current Periodicals and Newspapers, Room 240: Materials shelved alphabetically by title; items may not circulate.
- Cutter: materials cataloged in an earlier classification system; call numbers will look a bit different from most call numbers. Items may circulate.
- East European Studies Collection, Room 212: materials located in Petrovich Reading Room. Items do not circulate.
- Grants Information Collection, Room 262D/E: (in the Reference Room). Items do not circulate.
- Greek and Latin Reading Room, Room 424: Items do not circulate. Room may be closed for course instruction, consult schedule posted on door.
- Mills Music Library, Room B162: a separate library but located in basement of the Memorial Library building. All "M" call numbers are housed here. Circulation policies vary.
- New Book Shelf (in hallway between 2nd floor elevator lobby and west corridor): A random selection of newly acquired books which may be charged out. For a complete list of new acquisitions, see New in MadCat.
- Reference Non-Current Collection: reference materials currently located in the 2M South Stacks and are being shifted into both the Reference (2S) the Basement Stacks. Ask at the Reference Desk for assistance. Items do not circulate.
- Theses and Dissertations, B North: Theses are not classed by subject, rather they are in alphabetical order by author in the following groups:
- AWB = Phd.'s 1964 to present
- AWO = Masters 1964 to present
Other Collections & Materials: Closed Stacks
Note: Staff must retrieve these items for patron use.
- Control Number Collection: items awaiting cataloging; ask at Circulation Desk; items may circulate.
- Locked Case: houses materials prone to theft and mutilation; ask at Circulation Desk; items may circulate.
- Shelving Facility: off site shelving housing earlier theses and dissertations, low use materials, journals whose contents are available online. Circulation policies vary. Materials may be requested via MadCat.
- Special Collections, Room 976: sometimes called Rare Books. Materials do not circulate.
- Microforms Media Center, Room 443: houses microforms and other media. Provides reading and copying equipment.
- Shakespeare Collection: selected Shakespeare's writings and commentaries; ask at Circulation Desk; items may or may not circulate.
- Storage Collection: items moved to temporary shelves; ask at Circulation Desk; items may circulate.
Assistance with finding materials is available at the Reference Desk (Room 262) and the Circulation Desk on the 1st floor
Stack Guide (Print Version)
PDF of the Stack Guide Handout found throughout Memorial Library.